Sunday, December 15, 2013

Customer service and quality done right

I ordered a kids toy my daughter saw on a commercial while watching nickelodeon. It's Christmas and she's been good and it's only 20.00 so I jumped online and ordered it.  One less present to buy.   Check it off the list. Two days later I receive a phone call from the company thanking me for the order.  How nice, I think to myself as the person on the other end thanks me for my recent purchase.  If only the call stopped there.

They want to send me 100.00 in gas cards because of my purchase and sign me up for a savers program for just 1.00 for the first 14 days and then only 29.95 each month after.  (Insert sarcasm). "No thanks, just send my order" is my reply.  They assure me my order has been shipped but they need to verify my credit card for the savers program and free gas cards.  "No thanks" and I hang up.  

The next day another call comes in from the same company with the same request.  I tell them I don't have a credit card with me and that I've maxed it out anyways.  (Not entirely true, but close). They gave me a number to call them back when I can, to give them my credit card -which I won't do.  

What I thought was going to be a pleasant experience turned into a terrible one with that first phone call to thank me for the order.  If it had stopped there - with a thank you - I would have ordered another set for my niece but since it is only a front for some other savings program I decided against it.

Being in a business that manufactures and sells products to consumers, I am always anxious to see how other companies handle customer service.  This particular companies treatment of their customer - me - actually cost them a sale.  

At Northstar Products we try to create a relationship with our customers that emulate the relationship you have with a family member or close friend.  We are happy to answer your questions about our products or refer you to another company if we can't help you out.  We want a company to do that for us as consumers as well.  We treat our customers and potential customers the way we would want to be treated.  

There are a lot of places to buy canvas for your boat, especially with the internet involved.  You can buy from anyone, but not everyone will go the extra lengths we are willing to go.

Give us a call.  Let's talk about what you need and what you don't need.  Let's put a good looking piece of canvas on your boat for a good price.  Let's turn some heads on the water and keep some money in your wallet.

Only 94 days till spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment